Ready & Able Helps Harrisburg Homeowners Inspect Plumbing with a Spring Cleaning Plumbing Checklist.
Every spring, homeowners across the country begin their spring cleaning regimens. The list of tasks varies from cleaning out wardrobes to cleaning out the garage. As you’re beginning your spring cleaning, Ready & Able wanted to take a moment to remind you of some important inspections that you can perform all around your home to ensure your plumbing works properly all year round.
- Check under sinks or in the basement to see if any are leaking. Some can be easily tightened with a wrench; however, more serious leaks should be inspected by a certified plumber.
- Now is the best time to replace or repair any leaky faucets that are dripping or leaking.
- If you have drains that you use infrequently, pour about a half gallon of water down the drain to prevent bad smells from entering your house through these drains.
- Several newer washing machines have lint traps that should be checked frequently. Now is a great time to check the traps for both your washer and drier to ensure both are clear of any lint or gunk that will decrease efficiency.
- You can check for a leaky toilet by adding food coloring, Kool Aid, or instant coffee. Add the color to the tank; then, wait approximately 30 minutes. If the bowl has changed colors, you have a leaky toilet that could be costing you more money.
- You can soak showerheads in vinegar over night to remove mineral deposits.
- Water heaters should be set no higher or lower than 120°F. This keeps your water from growing bacteria (if it is set too low) or from scalding those with sensitive skin. The lower temperature also reduces your energy cost and consumption.
- Check the supply hoses for your dishwasher, washing machine and ice makers swellings, bumps, knots or leaks. If you find damaged hoses, you should replace them with stainless steel, if possible.
- If you have a sump pump, approximately once a year, you should test it to ensure it works properly. Simply pour a few buckets of water into the pump; the pump should start, drain the excess water, and then turn off. If this does not happen, call a licensed plumber today.
- Ensure all gutters and exterior drains are clear from all debris.
The experts at Ready & Able can size up any job and give you the information and options you need. And with free estimates, flat rate pricing, guarantees on our labor and products, 24/7 emergency service, and screened employees, you are guaranteed to have a good experience with our company. We are here to make your life easier and 100% customer satisfaction is what we strive for. Ready & Able plumbing, heating and cooling is ready to help you, anytime, anywhere! Call today! 717-963-2034